Plaza Nissan is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination.
Plaza Nissan understands that obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or to people with disabilities under any other law.
Plaza Nissan is committed to complying with both the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005)
Plaza Nissan is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
Assistive Devices – We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods and services.
In cases where the assistive device presents a significant and unavoidable health or safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, other measures will be used to ensure the person with a disability can access our goods, services or facilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site or that we provide that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods, services or facilities.
Communication – We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. This may include the following;
- Large print
- Reading out loud
- Writing notes
We will work with the person with a disability to determine what method of communication works for them.
Service animals – We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
When we cannot easily identify that an animal is a service animal, our staff may ask a person to provide documentation (template, letter or form) from a regulated health professional that confirms the person needs the service animal for reasons relating to their disability.
A service animal can be easily identified through visual indicators, such as when it wears a harness or a vest, or when it helps the person perform certain tasks.
A regulated health professional is defined as a member of one of the following colleges:
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- College of Chiropractors of Ontario
- College of Nurses of Ontario
- College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- College of Optometrists of Ontario
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- College of Psychologists of Ontario
- College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario
If service animals are prohibited by another law, we will do the following to ensure people with disabilities can access our goods, services or facilities:
- Explain why the animal is excluded
- Discuss with the customer another way of providing goods, services or facilities
Support persons – A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
- Fee/fare will not be charged for support persons
In certain cases, Plaza Nissan, might require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for health or safety reasons of:
- The person with a disability
- Others on the premises
Before making a decision, Plaza Nissan will:
- Consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- Consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- Determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises
If Plaza Nissan determines that a support person is required, we will waive the admission fee or fare (if applicable) for the support person
Notice of temporary disruption – In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Plaza Nissan will notify customers promptly. We will post a notice that clearly explains what the reason for disruption is, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed at the customer lounge and entrances of Plaza Nissan.
Training for staff – Plaza Nissan will provide accessible customer service training to:
- All employees and volunteers
- Anyone involved in developing our policies
- Anyone who provides goods, services or facilities to customers on our behalf
(Staff will be trained on accessible customer service within 30 days after being hired).
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Plaza Nissan policies related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Plaza Nissan goods, services or facilities
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service policies.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Plaza Nissan provides goods and services to people with disabilities can contact us by email, in writing, verbally or by phone.
All feedback will be directed to Management. Customers can expect to hear back in one business day.
Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
Plaza Nissan will provide this document in an accessible format or with communication support, on request. We will consult with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or communication support. We will provide the accessible format in a timely manner and, at no additional cost.
Any policy of Plaza Nissan that does not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Hamilton Infinity Holdings Inc., (o/a Plaza Nissan) Accessibility Policies and Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
Accessibility Plan and Policies for Plaza Nissan
This 2012-18 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Plaza Nissan will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Plaza Nissan is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Plaza Nissan is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Plaza Nissan will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Plaza Nissan will take the following steps to ensure employees/volunteers are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2012, 2015, & 2016
- Controller will arrange training for all staff members as required by the Ontario Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation
- Controller will provide training to staff at time of New Employee Orientation (web based)
- Staff will be trained on any updates as required by the Ontario Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation
- Training will be accessible to all staff through a company website
- Controller will maintain any required training records
Service Animals and Support Persons
Plaza Nissan will take the following steps to ensure we welcome service animals and support persons by January 1, 2012
- We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
Information and Communications
Plaza Nissan is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Plaza Nissan will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2012, & 2016:
- Identify existing feedback processes, ie; through the company website, customer development center, etc.
- Review the processes and provide appropriate accessible formats and communication support to persons with disabilities on request. (this includes survey’s and comment cards)
Plaza Nissan will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2017:
- The organization will consult with the person making the request and determine the most appropriate accessible format or communication support
Plaza Nissan will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability by January 1, 2017:
- Create a written process for the development of documented individual accommodation plans and return to work plans for employees with disabilities
- Include all the elements required in accordance with the IASR
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities needs are taken into account if Plaza Nissan is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes:
- Management will assess the needs of the employee with disabilities and have individual accommodation plans for performance management, career development and redeployment processes
Management will take the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified:
- If a barrier is found, management will be informed and the appropriate action will be taken to remove such barrier(s)
Design of Public Spaces
Plaza Nissan will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces by January 1, 2018. Public spaces include:
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas and accessible pedestrian signals
- Accessible parking
- Service-related elements like service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas
Plaza Nissan will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
Plaza Nissan is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Plaza Nissan will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired:
- Revise any recruitment processes as necessary to ensure all candidates are advised of access to accommodation throughout the job selection process is available
- Identify any barriers/location of interview room/room set up for in-person interviews/support paperwork if needed
For more information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact Susan Taylor at:
- Phone: 905-389-3588
- Email: email@example.com
Accessible formats of this document are available free upon request from Management.